Recover a project

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Recover a project

Post by tonystark622 »

Folks,
It's been a long time since I posted. Sorry for the absence.

I am in the process of moving to a new v11.3 DataStage server. My SysAdmin loaded the Parallel engine on this server by mistake. I don't have a license for the Parallel engine on this server, so I asked him to uninstall it. He re-ran the server install to remove Parallel engine and in the process wiped out all my projects.

I have one particular project that I would like to recover. I have all the original files from the Project directory (Universe files?).

I created a new project with a different name and copied all the files from the other Project directory into the new project directory. I cannot see any of the jobs in Designer. I CAN, however, go into the Universe/DataStage shell, LOGTO the new project and list DS_JOBS. It looks like all the info is still there.

When I run SyncProject.sh on this directory I get
dsadescm:gpap7510 [509] /opt/IBM/InformationServer/ASBNode/bin $ -fix -StopOnError <

DSEngine Restorer Report

Tue Sep 30 01:49:12 CDT 2014

IS Host = gpap7509
IS Port = 9443
IS User = isadescm

DS Host = gpap7510
DS Port = 31538

DataStage Project: DEP
----------------------

An unexpected error occurred retrieving the project status for project 'DEP'.
Invalid universe credentials found.
Overall Summary
---------------

0 Issues Found.
1 Potential Issue Remaining.
DSEngine Restorer Fix Results

Tue Sep 30 01:49:12 CDT 2014

IS Host = gpap7509
IS Port = 9443
IS User = isadescm

DS Host = gpap7510
DS Port = 31538

DataStage Project: DEP
----------------------

An unexpected error occurred retrieving the project status for project 'DEP'.
Invalid universe credentials found.

Overall Summary
---------------

0 Issues Found.
1 Potential Issue Remaining.
Any ideas? Any way to restore/recreate the XMETA portion of the project so that I can save these jobs?

I appreciate any help/ideas you may have.

Thanks,
Tony
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I suggest starting by creating a new project using the original project name. When you create a project, the name is embedded many places. My theory is that it's so extensive, that's why there is still no function available to rename a project. Copy your backed up files into the original project name immediately after creating the project.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Thanks, qt_ky. I thought of that... and did just what you suggested. Same error.

New information: I tried to export the project with the dscmdexport command. It found DataStage executable jobs, but did not export the Source Jobs.

Since all we used to have was this set of UNIVERSE files my gut is telling me there MUST be a way to recover this... I just don't know what it is.

Thanks all,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm guessing you'll need to run something like this:

Code: Select all

VERIFY.SQL SCHEMA {ProjectName}
First to see what it says and then perhaps add the FIX option to the end of it. But in your shoes I'd wait until someone like Ray wanders by and confirms or denies that. In the interim, wouldn't hurt to run it and see what it says.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you made any progress on this, Tony?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Hi Craig,

The project has been recovered.

I contacted IBM Advanced Level support. At their request, I sent them the DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS directories. They said something about DataStage version 7... And sent me a DSX back of all the jobs in the project.

I didn't get any more details than that. I'm assuming they had a DataStage v7 install which didn't have the Metadata Repository... overlaid the DS_JOBS and DS_JOBOBJECTS directories in an empty project... then exported the DSX... I'm not sure if they had to reconstruct the VOC. or what, but I didn't send the VOC to them.

Anyway crisis averted. I imported the DSX, moved some routines and a transform from the Development server (which had a 30 day old image of the project... Many changes to the jobs since then).

Thanks for your suggestions, but I didn't get to try them.

Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

About the only thing* that might not work using a version 7 instance would be any manually-changed VOC entries. All VOC entries generated from DataStage itself would be picked up during import of the DSX file.

* apart, of course, for any components that don't exist in version 7 - but they couldn't have been imported into version 7 anyway (at least in theory :wink: )
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.