Running dsjob utility from Client workstation

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajneesh75
Participant

Running dsjob utility from Client workstation

Post by rajneesh75 »

Hi

I am new to Datastage. I want to know can we run dsjob utility from windows workstation (having Datastage clients - Administrator, Director, Designer installed ) to fire a job on a Datastage server/DSEngine installed on Unix.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome.

Yes, you can seeing as how the jobs can only run from the DataStage server. In the past, we had to get our hands on the dsjob executable from a Windows server release plus the supporting ddls in order to do that but from what I recall it is now automatically installed on each client regardless of server platform.

Gurus please correct me if I am wrong. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

He asked about running them on the workstation, not on the server. As far as I know the answer is no, you have to connect to the server and run it from there, using something like telnet, ssh, etc.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
rajneesh75
Participant

Post by rajneesh75 »

I have datastage 8.1(both server and clients) installed on my window machine . I am using the following dsjob command to run jobs on my machine and the jobs are running fine

C:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic>dsjob -domain 'domain':9080 -user 'username' -password 'password' -server 'my machine name':31538 -run -mode NORMAL -wait 'Project name' 'job name'

In my case both server and client are on my machine. I am curious if server is on another machine(windows or unix) would the same command run/not run the job on that server given that i am giving the hostname:port no in the command
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

PhilHibbs wrote:He asked about running them on the workstation, not on the server.
From the workstation, not on. :wink:
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rajneesh75 wrote:I am curious if server is on another machine(windows or unix) would the same command run/not run the job on that server given that i am giving the hostname:port no in the command
Yes. As noted.
-craig

rajneesh75
Participant

Post by rajneesh75 »

So , can I conclude that we can run dsjob from a windows workstation to run jobs on a Unix datastage server.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, as long as you have the executable properly installed on your client.
-craig