ETL vs ELT

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

ETL vs ELT

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

Does datastage strong in ETL or ELT ?
which one will be good in future?
Karthik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What does 'strong' mean in this context?

DataStage can do either and, indeed, can make the decision about which one to use using cost-based optimization.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

And what does "ELT" mean in this context? I understand it to mean loading the source data into the database on which the target application is running and then transforming it using that database's native operations (typically stored procedures), e.g. if you're migrating or interfacing into Oracle HR then you load your source data into an XX schema within the Oracle database and then transform it into the Oracle Apps API using PL/SQL. I'm not sure how you'd do that in DataStage. What were you thinking of, Ray?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You're correct Phil except for the stored procedure part. In DataStage it is a licensed option called "Balanced Optimization" and is basically equivalent to what Informatica calls "Push Down Optimization". There is a mention of it here with the full whammy here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers