Best option to handle connection parameters

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Personally I prefer parameter sets. The Admin way sounds old school... not saying wrong but does sound a drag... I looked at the data connection way before and didn't really float my boat and as we manage all our details via a database anyway (except passwords!), not the most configurable of options (at least from what I could see)...

Edit: and by configurable, I meant specify values at runtime - maybe not their purpose...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My preference is to use Data Connectors that have associated Parameter Sets. This means that the Parameter Set is stored in the same folder as its Data Connector. Then, within the Parameter Set, I like to use values files for different environments.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Joe1409
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joe1409 »

Hi ray,

I am a premium member but i can't see the premium content :(. Do you know something about this?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your account does not show you being a Premium Member (it would say so next to your userid in the left-hand panel), was this recent? If so it may not have been 'activated' yet. And for the record, none of us have anything to do with that aspect of the website.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Joe1409
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joe1409 »

Yes, I bought it today. So i have no choice, just wait.

Thanks anyway
Joe1409
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joe1409 »

Hi

I'm gonna use Data Connectors that have associated Parameter Sets, and the parameter sets read from a file.

I've been reading about the maintenance and I found 2 ways to do that.
1. Modify the Parameter Set Object in the Designer.
2. Modify the Parameter Set file directly.

If I choose option 1 technically it's a safe way but it means giving the Designer tool to your production support team which is overkill.
And If I choose option 2 you cannot change encrypted values.

Is there another safe way? Maybe by the InfoSphere DataStage Administration? Any ideas?

Thanks and Regards
Joe