Renaming a project during migration

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Renaming a project during migration

Post by vbarca »

We are getting ready to upgrade from 7.5.2 to 8.1. During the migration is it possible to rename projects?

Thanks,
Vince
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go find out what they want."
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Yes. Especially since you will be migrating by exporting DSX files and importing them to the new system.

Just create the project name you want, and load the dsx file with the jobs from the old project into it.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vbarca »

Thanks Andy. It's easy enough to create a project and import the dsx files. I am more interested in how to migrate the hundreds of hashed files we have in our current project.

Thanks,
Vince
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go find out what they want."
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you need to migrate them at all? Would it be sufficient to have jobs running in the new environment create them afresh? (That's one of the things Validate Job is useful to do.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And the how would depend on the nature of the hashed file, pathed verses account-based. The former can simply be copied by whatever mechanism you choose as long as (for dynamic hashed files) all of the files in each director (including the hidden file) make the trip together.

Account-based hashed files take an extra step to recreate the VOC record. You could Validate the new jobs which would create an empty hashed file and the needed VOC record then the same copy noted above could bring the old data over.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vbarca »

Thanks Craig and Ray. Some of the hashed files will be repopulated as part of normal processing but we still have hundreds of files that are "updated" and due to the nature of how things are processed cannot simply be repopulated.

Is there some mechanism to easily Validate all the jobs in the project?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't think there's any automagic way, Support might be able to provide one for you, though. Worst case a script using dsjob could iterate through a list of job names and validate them one by one. You could also use dsjob to generate the list of jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vbarca »

Thanks Craig. I just finished writing and testing two jobs. One reads from DS_JOBS and creates a text file of job names. The second is a job control script that iterates through the file and validates each job.