WebSphere Application Server - 64 bit

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

WebSphere Application Server - 64 bit

Post by sjfearnside »

Has anybody pre installed the 64 bit WebShere Application Server (WAS) before installing IS V8.1?

If so, could you share if there were any problems?

I will be installing on AIX 6.1 on a P5 server. 4 CPU and 32 GB ram.

I understand the DataStage code base is still 32 bit, is there any advantage to installing the 64 bit WAS?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Well, since your machine has more than 4 GB RAM, you should use 64-bit WAS. Is OS 64-bit too? You still have to bring in whole bunch 32-bit packages and compiler.
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

Thanks for the timely response.

My understanding is that the AIX6.1 only supports the 64-bit kernel.

Even though DataStage(DS) is still 32 bit only, I would think it would be good to move to a 64 bit system but want to see if there is anyone which has done this and what challenges they may have faced.

My thought would be to have the OS, DB and as much of the system at 64 bit so when DS is moved to 64 bit it would be an easier transition and take advantage of the new capabilities of the 64 bit architecture.

Have you pre installed WAS 64 bit with an IS V8.1 installation?
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

As a follow-up. I installed the 3 environments Dev, QA and Prod with the pre-insatall of the 64 bit WAS. It went smoothly.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've done three of them, all without problems.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.