Can ProfileStage handle triggers,lobs,user defined data type

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

cloggieroo
Participant

Can ProfileStage handle triggers,lobs,user defined data type

Post by cloggieroo »

Hi Everyone,
I am currently learning ProfileStage with a view to using this tool to migrate a DB2 subsystem from z/OS onto another platform. I have done the tutorial and I have checked the (few) manuals around but I cannot find answers to my questions. Hopefully some of you guys have had some experience and can help :wink:

I want to know if ProfileStage can deal with the following:
a. triggers defined on columns;
b. lobs;
c. user defined data types; and
d. stored procedures.

So far in my reading I can find nothing about these particular kinds of objects. I'm not sure if I have to even worry about it at this stage, but you know what it's like when you read manuals - you end up with more questions than you did when you started :roll:

Any info or experiences would be really helpful. It does not look like this tool is used in any great numbers around the world, so info is sparse to say the least. IBM just direct you to Ascential website and I cannot get an account with them - so this site is about my only option.

Thanks in advance,
Cloggieroo
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
ProfileStage is ment to investigate your data
and can also produce a normalized target DB scheme with PK/FK constraints built upon your data analysis.
It can also prepare a simple DataStage export file to migrate your existing DB to your new one if you intend to use DataStage to do it.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ProfileStage does not do migrations.
The answer to each of your four questions is NO.

ProfileStage (formerly MetaRecon) is purely an investigative tool. It tells you what's out there, based purely on the data (though metadata mismatches can be reported). It does not do ETL. You need DataStage (or some other tool) for that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cloggieroo
Participant

Post by cloggieroo »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The way I read the information was that the tool eventually created DDL for a new database based on investigation of the old. As an ex-DBA, I see triggers, some stored procedures, lobs and user defined data types as being part of a database so I assumed that the tool also recognized these facets of the database structure.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Alas, no. It's purely data-driven, so only generates DDL to create tables, primary key and foreign key constraints. I may have to review my assertion about large objects, however - next time I'm playing with ProfileStage and encounter data that include any. I suspect it reportes them as Long VarChar or Long VarBinary, but not 100% sure.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.