Error loading Metadata.

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

trainee9999
Charter Member
Charter Member

Error loading Metadata.

Post by trainee9999 »

Hi Everybody,

I need to import the metadata of the tables into profileStage from a text file/folder and some realtionals sources. I have created a DSN using Ascential data direct drivers and pointed it to the datasource.

I am able to get data from TXT databases without and problem and also able to profile the data. However, I am not able to do so from Oracle sources.

I have specified all the options in the "Load Database Meta Data" screen and when I click on "Select Table" button, I get the following error:

"Error retrieving table list
Error may be database or schema specified in this connection does not contain any tables. Please see the latest error log (select Tables_yyyymmdd_n.log) for details"

Any thought on it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Arvind Chenna (Ac)
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,

Is there any more info in the mentioned log file?

Are you sure the connection is set up ok?

This could be a bad driver, in which case you can download a new one to be sure (from the provider's web site).

Can you connect to the said DB with the user password you are using with Oracle client tools?

Can you import meta data from other DB's (if you have any)?

IHTHT,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may also be that you lack SELECT privilege on the relevant system tables, the ones that contain the metadata (in DBA talk, definitions of tables, columns and other database objects). Check with your DBA if you have access.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trainee9999
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by trainee9999 »

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all the responses.

I am now able to get it worked.

The system name was changed for some reason so that had actually
messed up the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

So I had to Make the correspoding changes to get it working.
I never used IP address, but used only host name while creating the DSN on local system or while the profileStage installation.

Thanks,
Arvind Chenna (Ac)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Curious. I would have expected "unable to resolve service name" if someone had trashed tnsnames.ora. We live and learn. ProfileStage has its own handler, which intercepts the message generated by the Oracle client. The good news is that that fact is now posted here and can be found via the Search facility.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

I guess the case was that the entry in the file existed but pointed to another place, hence tns name was resolved but all else was missing
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
rhys.jones@target.com
Participant

Post by rhys.jones@target.com »

Ray was correct in that ProfileStage error handling is unlike any of IBM/Ascential's other tools. That error is a generic error that means you've opened a socket to your database, but don't receive a timely response. I've gotten it trying to connect to DB2 and Oracle sources. The other common generic error is the "Error 88 - Contact Support" which shows up just about everywhere, and doesn't mean jack!

Most of the really useful information is going to be in the log file that gets generated under the Analysis Server engine (could be many types, depending on the action you were doing: selecttables, genodbc, analysisadmin, etc). That error indicates that you need to open the corresponding log file in order to glean what the actual cause of the problem was. In there you'd definitely find your typical TNS error (or in the case of DB2 some CLI error). The log file location is going to be something like:

/apps/Ascential/ProfileStage/AnalysisServer/LogFiles

A word of advice for those of you with Unix-based Analysis Servers - get UltraEdit! It's really useful for looking in the log file directory for the most current logfile to open (open via FTP, sort on modified date). There are a LOT of files in that directory, and unless you've written your own cleanup script, searching for all files with a wildcard (ls -l selectTables*) can be a nightmare!
rhys.jones@target.com
Participant

Post by rhys.jones@target.com »

Y'know, trainee, I'd be interested to know if you had configured your DSN using the wired protocol driver, or just the standard Oracle driver. You shouldn't have had problems with TNSNAMES.ORA entries if using the wired protocol driver (or so says Data Direct!). That's supposed to bypass client software and make its own connection.
anandkumarm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anandkumarm »

Hi,

I was getting similar kind of error

AppLib::_GetConnectionInfo: Unable to create DbConnectInfo object:
DbConnectInfo::New: Unable to create Hash2Sql object for table 'DbConnection':
Hash2Sql::new: Failure on &ExecSQLColumns for table 'DbConnection':
CoreOdbc::_ExecCatalogFetchAll: Problem encountered during FETCH:

and I didnt know what was the problem. Then I read this posting and changed my driver to repository to Ascential Wired Protocol instead of Oracle driver and it just works now.

Thanks for posting the solutions.

Anand.
dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dwblore »

Hello

I am trying to load the metadata from the db2 source database.

However when i use the load metadata tool in Profile stage , even though i am able to select the required table after making a connnection when i click OK button - the status window displays the following message and appears to hang ... nothing happens

2/8 17:40:23: SAMPATH\GenOdbc2Mxf: 5275 0 Getting approximate row count for table 'EMPL'. This may take a while to complete.

Any ideas

thanks