Whant to know about Profile stage

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ranga1970
Participant

Whant to know about Profile stage

Post by ranga1970 »

Hi;
I do not have profile stage installed so i do not have its documents, but My organization is planning to use this in future, so would like to get awareness of this tool before this is purchased by my organization, any help where I can gain this knowledge, I had gone through the doc at acential.com, but thought I should know more about it, any help where I can find related stuff and some explaination docs?
RRCHINTALA
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

My experience with profile stage has not been that good. Ascential does not seem to be too familiar with the product and there support is far from superior. With that said, if you are looking to pull null counts, distinct values and other very simplitcis measures then profile stage will work for you. if you think you are going to generate an enitre new databsae schema you may want to wait unitl IBM comes out with the new version.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ProfileStage was formerly a product called MetaRecon that Ascential acquired. Its purpose is to look at your data without necessarily believing what the metadata define, in order to determine what's really there (hence "profiling").

It's tedious/tricky to get set up right, but once this is in place it all seems to work. I guess there's lots of software in that category!

There is a slight overlap in functionality with AuditStage (formerly Quality Manager) in this task.

ProfileStage requires (forces) you to work through the profiling tasks in a systematic, cumulative way. Why not have your organization request an evaluation copy, or product demonstration?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trainee9999
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by trainee9999 »

Hi,

After you have gone through the docs, I feel working on the tool is fairly easy.

The installation is little confusing and tricky, Otherwise you should not have any problems working with the tool unless some specific functionality needs to be achieved.

I have profiled varied ranges of datasets without major issues mostly with the profile options set to defaults.

Hope you all agree on this, else please correct me.

Thanks,
Arvind Chenna (Ac)
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

Your better off waiting until IBM comes out with their release. The Ascential version is not that good and you cant really move away from the path the profile stage puts you on. I ended up using it for about 1 month of my 4 month project and then after that I started just writing my own custom sql and sql scripts