Best Practices

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

asuser
Participant

Best Practices

Post by asuser »

Does anyone know where I could find the best practices guide for using profilestage. Specifically, what to look for during column analysis and eliminate columns during the subsequent steps (table. cross table etc..). or even a cheat sheet kind of thing .... The documentation comes with a book, but not very useful with practical how to.
Thank you !!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no such document from Ascential/IBM as far as I am aware. :cry:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Usually the one teaching the course has some guidelines they can share.

Mostly you seach for primary key candidates, constants, mostly null columns, forien key relationships, normalizing tables if needed, discrepencies between source data types and actual data in them.

Excluding columns that obviously have no need to be analyzed further might dramatically reduce your analysis time.

The ability to add your notes and the range of reports you can produce are functional for keeping track of things.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
trainee9999
Charter Member
Charter Member

Best Practices

Post by trainee9999 »

-->SAP Business Information Warehousing has " HOW TO" seminars and Document releases.
-->These are publicly available.
-->I had used them

-->Similarly, Ascential has a practice of making best practice documents.
-->These are available only for the customers.
-->I have a friend who worked for Ascential in the past has contributed for the best pratice documents

Thanks
Nash