Importing Oracle Meta

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

als110
Participant

Importing Oracle Meta

Post by als110 »

I have successfully imported sql server meta data into ps, however when I try to do the import on an Oracle DB it times out with the following messages:

MetaDate Loader Done.
Problem Number 88: The server program was terminated unxepectedly.
Please Call Technical Support.

Any Suggestions??
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the Oracle instance running? For example can you connect to it using sqlplus from the ProfileStage machine? Indeed, is the Oracle client software installed and configured on that machine?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

I get the same error trying to do a table analysis on a oracle table that has 800K rows.

Support has said that the error 88 occurs due to a message timeout. Was asked to changed a setting in the MGMPgmInit.int file to 300.

Didn't fixed the problem and still working on a solution for a fix.

Table analysis is fine on the other tables.

Tim
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

Yes oracle is running on this computer and I am able to connect to the instatance through other sql tools.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is Oracle busy doing other stuff? The DBA can help you to track down what's being asked of Oracle at any particular time, and maybe why timeouts are occurring.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

Does anyone have any other ideas on this, I can import the meta data if I use an analysis server that is installed on my local windows machine but I can not import it using the analysis server on my unix box. I now am getting the following error:

Unable to connect to database using DSN/service 'AHQ2' Review connection information and correct if needed. Connection Error: CoreOdbc::_ExecOpenDbSql_ODBC: Error in opening database connection to 'AHQ2'

Here is my odbc entry for this db:

[AHQ2]
Driver=/etl/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib/VMora19.so
Description=DataDirect 4.20 Oracle Wire Protocol
ApplicationUsingThreads=1
ArraySize=60000
CachedCursorLimit=32
CachedDescLimit=0
CatalogIncludesSynonyms=1
CatalogOptions=1
DefaultLongDataBuffLen=1024
DescribeAtPrepare=0
EnableDescribeParam=0
EnableNcharSupport=1
EnableScrollableCursors=1
EnableStaticCursorsForLongData=0
EnableTimestampWithTimeZone=0
HostName=mke1a1qrac01
ServerName=ahq2a.world
LocalTimeZoneOffset=
LockTimeOut=-1
LogonID=
Password=
PortNumber=1521

This db is up and running and I am able to open up a sql client on this DB.
Thanks

Aaron
jefbuckeye
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jefbuckeye »

als110 wrote:Does anyone have any other ideas on this, I can import the meta data if I use an analysis server that is installed on my local windows machine but I can not import it using the analysis server on my unix box. I now am getting the following error:

Unable to connect to database using DSN/service 'AHQ2' Review connection information and correct if needed. Connection Error: CoreOdbc::_ExecOpenDbSql_ODBC: Error in opening database connection to 'AHQ2'

Here is my odbc entry for this db:

[AHQ2]
Driver=/etl/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib/VMora19.so
Description=DataDirect 4.20 Oracle Wire Protocol
ApplicationUsingThreads=1
ArraySize=60000
CachedCursorLimit=32
CachedDescLimit=0
CatalogIncludesSynonyms=1
CatalogOptions=1
DefaultLongDataBuffLen=1024
DescribeAtPrepare=0
EnableDescribeParam=0
EnableNcharSupport=1
EnableScrollableCursors=1
EnableStaticCursorsForLongData=0
EnableTimestampWithTimeZone=0
HostName=mke1a1qrac01
ServerName=ahq2a.world
LocalTimeZoneOffset=
LockTimeOut=-1
LogonID=
Password=
PortNumber=1521

This db is up and running and I am able to open up a sql client on this DB.
Thanks

Aaron
You may want to change the server name to the IP address that hosts the Oracle Database. I have seen this sort of error with other products when the host machine was using WINS instead of DNS which often makes it invisible to the UNIX world.
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

I changed to the ip address and I get the exact same error and in fact it just errors out faster with the ip than the box name.
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

Ok so as it turns out I was never connecting to the db at all, I made a few changes to the odbc instance and I can now connect to the db but I am still getting no where, I can't even select tables here is the message I get now:

Error Retreiving Table List.
Error maybe database or schema in this connection does not have contain and tables. Please see the latest error log

As I have stated before I have no probelm connecting to this db if the analysis server is on my local windows machine but when I try to connection through my unix box i get this error. I have successfully connected to the db on the unix box through sqlplus so I know the db is up and running.
Bala R
Participant

Post by Bala R »

Can you check whether the user id with which you are logging into unix from the DataStage client has read permission on tnsnames.ora file?
als110
Participant

Post by als110 »

Yes I do Have Read Permission on the tnsnames.ora file