ProfileStage going non-responsive

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

peternolan9
Participant

ProfileStage going non-responsive

Post by peternolan9 »

Hi All,
I guess this is hoping against hope as there seems to be almost no-one on this forum....but PS on my laptop is going non-responsive. Just hangs. I've tried everything that makes any sense at all and a few things that do not....

I've had the full PS on my laptop, as well as connecting to a server repository with only the client on my laptop. Smae thing each time...PS is sssslllllooooooowwwwwwww to start up, it will work ok for 5-10 minutes and then in the middle of the next browse of whatever I am browsing it will just stop. 'Not Responding'.

We have 3-4 other PCs that work fine. I am using XP Pro, SP2 with all the latest patches....Dell laptop 2Ghz, 1GB mem, 100GB disk...a decent machine.

If anyone has any ideas I'd really like to hear them....some members of the team have spent weeks profiling data and I am doing the source to target mapings and all the good stuff they have done is in the PS repository but I can't see it because PS keeps stopping.......
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
peternolan9
Participant

Post by peternolan9 »

just in case it helps...we found the problem...even though I put the analysis server and message switch onto my laptop and called it the same names as the one we copied it from it still does not work. One of our guys managed to figure out that he had to make some changes inside the database and put all our services onto the one machine (an AIX box) to be able to bring the clients PS database back to the office for us to be able to read. What changes in the database? I have no idea...
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you ask the technical dude and let us know? That way your pioneering efforts won't be wasted!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peternolan9
Participant

Post by peternolan9 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Can you ask the technical dude and let us know? That way your pioneering efforts won't be wasted!
Hi Ray,
I shall ask...
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
mdan
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mdan »

peternolan9 wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:Can you ask the technical dude and let us know? That way your pioneering efforts won't be wasted!
Hi Ray,
I shall ask...

:idea:
The main problem is related to the name of the machine and DNS. If the new machine has the same name as the original one there is nothing to do - it just works.

There are two tables in PS repository: DBCONNECTION and DBLOCATION where you have to update some information.

- In the table DBCONNECTION update HOSTNAME to the new machine name, for the record with ROLE equal 'MRDB'.
- Then, in table DBLOCATION, identify the record with LOCATIONTYPE equal MRDB and change the value of FROMHOST to the new machine name. Also, take care of the ODBC names used on the client.

That's all what I remember so far ... was long time ago. Anyway, give it a try and send an email if not working. One day I'll check it again and I'll post the exact SQL and the procedure step-by-step.

Dan