Error importing meta data

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

bipul
Participant

Error importing meta data

Post by bipul »

Hi Everyone,

I have .txt file and I am trying to import the metadate. After I have specified all the options in the "Load Database Meta Data" screen and when I click on "Select Table" button, I get the following error

"Error retrieving table list
Error may be database or schema specified in this connection does not contain any tables. Please see the latest error log (select Tables_yyyymmdd_n.log) for details"

I am not able to understand what is the porblem. Is this problem is related to any kind of configuration file?

ODBC connection to the data source has been definied. I would be very glad if anyone could help me out in this.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Bipul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

Can you post the contents of the error log? This will help to diagnose what is being complained about.

If you solve it yourself as a result of examining the log contents, please post your solution, to help the next person who encounters this error.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
metabill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by metabill »

Another thing to do, if you haven't already, is to test the ODBC DSN outside ProfileStage once you've created it to be sure it is working as intended. The way I like to do this is using an ODBC-only query tool, like the free version of WinSQL. There are so many other things going on with ProfileStage in addition to the ODBC access that you should first eliminate the possibility of the DSN not being usable.
bipul
Participant

Post by bipul »

I have checked the Log directory, though the .err file is getting generated but it's empty. And there is no file with .LOG extension.

I am looking at "\..\ProfileStage\AnalysisServer\LogFiles" directory
bipul
Participant

Post by bipul »

Hi Everyone,

I was able to get my work done, but instead of using the .txt driver from Ascential, I used .txt driver that was being provided by Microsoft.

Thanks & Regards,

Bipul
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

Even we also faced same problem then we created new DSN for *.txt file. and modifed QETXT.INI file. now we can able to access *.txt file and loaded meta data.

Thanks
Man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Exactly how did you modify QETXT.INI file? That's what folks searching for this answer will want to know!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
namisbis
Participant

Re: Error importing meta data

Post by namisbis »

if u guys want to load meta data from the .txt file, What shld to do is
1:create odbc conenction with ascential odbc .txt drv, during the creation, in "general tab", u shld give the name of source data and directory/folder of the souce data files u put in ur pc; in "advanced tab", click" define" to let the odbc drv to build up the table structureof each .txt files in that folder , this wl create a "QETXT.INI" which contains the "[Defined Tables]".
2.in profilestage, u then can load the file as meta data

enjoy it.
Daddy Doma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Daddy Doma »

Came across this topic whilst investigating a similar problem and thought others may find my solution useful.

We have multiple fixed width text files that we were trying to bring into PS as seperate data sources. Our ODBC connection used the Ascential Text driver and created an .ini file at the same location as our date file. But the Import Metadata Option within PS itself was not creating a data source for us in Connection Manager.

Our configuration is ProfileStage on a Windows XP SP2 with SQL Server 2005. The data files were located on a common share drive.

We found that PS only recognised the data sources when the text files were located on the same box as the PS install, i.e. once we moved out text files to My Documents, our Connection Manager showed the different options.

So, if running PS as a local installation, with the PSDB Repository and Analysis Server on the same machine, try putting your data files there also.