can ProfileStage/AuditStage analyze EBCDIC data?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

datastage
Participant

can ProfileStage/AuditStage analyze EBCDIC data?

Post by datastage »

I'm assuming PS and AS can't really analyze EBCDIC data. The AuditStage manual says 'If the data file contains non-ASCII data, such as EBCDIC, packed, or null characters,
the results may be unpredictable.'

This implies its not supported, but you could try, so has anyone tried something like this?
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
harrives
Participant

Post by harrives »

As far as I know the answer is no. I think that there is an iWay connector for ProfileStage for analysing EBCDIC.
Harri Vesterinen
Senior Consultant
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

In the case of AuditStage (last version I used was the former Quality Manager), it depends on the data source. There is no problem analyzing data in a mainframe DB2 database (probably because the DB2 Connect middleware handles the EBCDIC -> ASCII conversion). If you're talking mainframe flat files or VSAM files, then these would need to be converted to regular ASCII text files (and I think ftp'd and imported) before you can analyze them.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The short answer is no but, if you're invoking from DataStage, then the conversion could be done "up front". Some FTP clients also have the ability to translate from EBCDIC to ASCII.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.