generic drill down error when data contains a single quote

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

generic drill down error when data contains a single quote

Post by qt_ky »

Has anyone run into the generic drill down error when the data contains a single quote? This is coming from IA 8.7.0.0 (no fix packs) on AIX via ODBC data source (SQL Server), Format tab, General Format A'AAAA, such as a name. The names display fine in the Distinct Values pane. Click Drill Down gives an error within a couple of seconds.

The generic error text is, "No results are available at this time due to one of the following reasons: either the data or the table is no longer in the database, a source database connection issue exists, or the Agent is not running. Verify that the data or table exists in the database; check your source database connection or configuration; and confirm that the Agent is running."

Drilling down on the same table and column via a format that does not contain a single quote, such as AAAA, works just fine.

I have checked in the SystemOut.log and other recently updated log files in the area at the time of the error and not found any signs of errors in any log files.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm going to guess that the single quote character isn't well handled when the drill-down query is constructed. Maybe it's something like

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE columname = 'O'DEAR'
That is, that you've uncovered a bug.

What does your offical support provider say?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I like your sample query! :lol: That was also my guess also, based on the different drill downs tested.

I had searched on DSXchange and on the Support Portal and come up empty, prior to posting this question.

Given that quotes are commonly contained in name data, I was curious if anyone else had run across this before.

I will probably setup the same IA connection from 11.3 and repeat the same drill down to see what the behavior is before I consider opening a new PMR on the IA 8.7 error.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius