How to retrieve data from IA DB and load it into Cognos DB

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

infodfs
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to retrieve data from IA DB and load it into Cognos DB

Post by infodfs »

Hi,
I'm trying to run data rules in IA and then push the data into Reporting DB, so I can generate reports from Cognos. Is there anyone could tell me the scripts and how to make it happen? Thanks in advance for your help.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

One way is to upgrade to 9.1.2 and use the Information Governance Dashboard (IGD). It does a lot of what it sounds like you want and a few other things besides.

It is based on a series of views that sit on top of xmeta. A few of them rely on linkages new to 9.1.2 (specifically the change in the BG/IA linkage that now allows BG Data Governance Rules to now link directly to IA executable Rules), but you could probably make use of at least some of them without going to 9.1.2.

It also has a Cognos FM model and some basic Cognos reports.

It won't push the row-level results though. You could do it yourself if you know how, but probably best to leave them in the Data Quality Console where they belong.

The main thing missing is the ability to link directly from Cognos to the DQC. Now that would be useful, but to be honest I don't think the DQC has its granularity right.
It tracks a single execution of a rule as an "Exception" (which the IGD also reports on), but the next time you run the rule it keeps that under a different one: the only real link is the name of the IA rule. So the sort of workflow / issue tracking it provides doesn't really make sense (to me, at least) over time.

The old-school way is to run the rules and automate the extraction using IAAdmin -getOutputTable and load into your own mart.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

http://dsxchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=15 ... c287e4b1c4

Also goes through how to automate the execution as well, if you're keen.
IAAdmin options are in chapter 16 or 17 of the IA Users Guide.