How Information analyzer is different?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Maximus_Jack
Premium Member
Premium Member

How Information analyzer is different?

Post by Maximus_Jack »

Hi
I have one basic question...

from a developers stand point, whatever the information analyzer is doing
can be done by simple SQL queries/scripts as well, in some cases the task is much much
easier when done in a SQL query, rather than writing all the rules,
running the analysis, etc, etc.....

so how this tool from a developer/designer/solution architect perspective...
makes someones job easier...

or is this a tool mainly for the business analyst/business?

MJ
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Information Analyzer IS a tool for business analysts. To do everything that table profiling and rules profiling do you would have to write (and verify) very many SQL statements. The ability to clone many rules of one rule definition, the ability to combine rules into rule sets and the ability to assign weights (metrics) all increase the complexity and difficulty of maintennce of those SQL statements. I take it you're also not taking advantage of IA's ability to establish baselines and checkpoints in order to monitor data quality over time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Re: How Information analyzer is different?

Post by stuartjvnorton »

Maximus_Jack wrote:or is this a tool mainly for the business analyst/business?
Why does it have to be one or the other?

Yes, BAs can do analysis without needing to know/write SQL, but as a developer I'd rather use IA than write all of that SQL...
And doing some of the inferred data type and data class stuff (which can be useful) would be quite laborious.

You also get to re-use the rule definitions in DataStage, and developers can use the API to incorporate IA results in their own processes.

It's got a bit of something for everybody. Pigeon-holing it just limits the benefit you might get from it.