Lookup based analysis

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Lookup based analysis

Post by devsonali »

Hello

Can anybody please guide me for the following

I need to look up a table A and based on matched results (on a key value) i need to create a virtual table

so a virtual table say "VIRTUALA" is primarily based on table 'A' but VIRTUALA table needs to contain only those values of its columnC1 that exists in Table 'B'

Any help is appreciated
dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Lookup based analysis

Post by dsusersaj »

devsonali wrote:Hello

I need to look up a table A and based on matched results (on a key value) i need to create a virtual table

so a virtual table say "VIRTUALA" is primarily based on table 'A' but VIRTUALA table needs to contain only those values of its columnC1 that exists in Table 'B'

Any help is appreciated

Are you creating your target table VIRTUALA on the go based on the lookup result?.

I guess not and it already exists.

So on that assumption I beleive your requirement is to join tables B and A on columnC1 which exists on both tables,and load the matched records to VIRTUALA.

Is that what you are looking for?
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:

Any help is appreciated

Are you creating your target table VIRTUALA on the go based on the lookup result?.

So on that assumption I beleive your requirement is to join tables B and A on columnC1 which exists on both tables,and load the matched records to VIRTUALA.

Yeah , The virtual table already exists and the lookup is as good as an inner join . So that is pretty much the requirement - Any pointers how to handle this ?
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:

Any help is appreciated

Yeah , The virtual table already exists and the lookup is as good as an inner join . So that is pretty much the requirement - Any pointers how to handle this ?
dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusersaj »

devsonali wrote:
dsusersaj wrote:

Any help is appreciated

Option 1: Use lookup stage if the tables A and B are not very big. (Should not contain millions of records).You can se 'Drop' on lookup failure if the records are to be dropped.Or 'reject' if you want to capture these records in a file.

Option 2: If the tables are big, then use a join stage with inner join on ColumnC1.

Also make sure you sort the data before joining on the key column.
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:
devsonali wrote:
dsusersaj wrote:

Option 1: Use lookup stage if the tables A and B are not very big. (Should not contain millions of records).You can se 'Drop' on lookup failure if the records are to be dropped.Or 'reject' if you want to capture these records in a file.

Option 2: If the tables are big, then use a join stage with inner join on ColumnC1.

Are you talking in terms of datastage - I want to join this table and create a virtual table in IA and then run column analysis?
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:
devsonali wrote:
dsusersaj wrote:

Are you talking in terms of datastage - I want to join this table and create a virtual table in IA and then run column analysis?
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:
devsonali wrote:
dsusersaj wrote:

dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusersaj »

Are you talking in terms of datastage - I want to join this table and create a virtual table in IA and then run column analysis?[/quote]

Yes I am talking in terms of datastage.
Btw,what is IA?.
dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusersaj »

dsusersaj wrote:Are you talking in terms of datastage - I want to join this table and create a virtual table in IA and then run column analysis?
Btw,what is IA?.[/quote]

Oh got you.Information Analyser. Sorry have not used it.
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

dsusersaj wrote:Are you talking in terms of datastage - I want to join this table and create a virtual table in IA and then run column analysis?
Btw,what is IA?.[/quote]

Sorry - I am talking in Information Analyzer
Am I in the wrong Forum ?
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Btw,what is IA?.[/quote]

Sorry - I am talking in Information Analyzer
Am I in the wrong Forum ?
dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusersaj »

No you are in the correct place. I thought this is datastage forum.
Good luck!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Create a virtual table based on the join, and then analyze the virtual table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.