Can not create PSDB

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ray.wurlod
Participant

Can not create PSDB

Post by ray.wurlod »

Client: Windows 2003 Server sp1
Server: Windows 2003 Server sp1, Oracle 10gR1

Oracle properly set up, with database STATWH configured and accessible via SQL*PLUS both from client and server machines. ProfileStage client, message switch and analysis server already installed on Client machine.

I now attempt to install a PSDB. The same error occurs whether the attempt is made on client or server machine. Here are the steps.
1. Choose ProfileStage from CD options.
2. Choose option to Create PSDB repository.
3. Provide identity of client machine as location of Message Switch.
4. Provide 3070 as TCP port number.
5. Provide default pathname for installation location.
6. Click Next> to start copying files.
7. Choose option Oracle on Windows to describe location of repository.
8. Click Yes on "Is client and server software installed?" message box.
9. Provide user ID, password and STATWH as repository user information.
10. Provide user ID and password as DBA information.
11. Provide pathname of oradata folder as data file path.
12. Click Yes to Create DSN for PSDB? message box.
13. Provide IP address of server and Oracle SID.

At this point a warning message box appears, containing the text "Can't find Oracle client installed"

This is a mystery, since the Oracle client IS installed, as evidenced by the fact that SQL*PLUS connectivity and Oracle Enterprise Manager connectivity can be achieved.

Can any one suggest what might be happening here and, if possible, a quick solution or workaround? TIA
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Hi Ray,
On your 2003 server machine, just make sure in the PATH environment variable that the Oracle client's path, e.g. C:\OraClinet10g\bin, precedes the Oracle server's path, e.g. C:\oracle\ora10g\bin.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi Ray,
If my memory servs me PS works with ODBC connection so the fact sqlplus works doesn't mean your ODBC connection is configured correctly or is/should be working.
Can you create an ODBC connection and validate connection to ORACLE?(not via PS itself that is)
By the way I have no way to test currently, but, does it even support oracle 10g and win2003?

Finaly and most important what exact release of PS are you using?
(this could be an issue with the specific build of PS you have)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks for suggestions. Will check PATH. The Test button on the ODBC configuration tool reports that connection successful. It's version 7.5.1 of ProfileStage; the setup utiility includes 10g as an option in the drop-down list for Oracle PSDB, and Windows 2003 is a supported platform.

The same error message appears whether trying to create the PSDB from the server machine or from a client machine.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Workaround

Post by ray.wurlod »

There exists a script on the CD using which one can create the PSDB manually. Where X: is the drive letter for the CD look for
X:\ProfileStage\sql\Oracle for CreateOraclePSDB.cmd (but first read the _readme.txt file!).

Doesn't solve the original problem, but does get the PSDB installed.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Hi Ray,
Did you find any solution of this issue?

Anka
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This afternoon a patch is arriving. It's apparently related to the Oracle installation - we could create a DB2 PSDB quite happily. Will post again when results to hand. Vendor claims it was successful at their place.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Is that mean that it was a ProfileStage bug?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No and yes. ProfileStage works quite happily with DB2 as the PSDB. It's installing the PSDB on Oracle on Windows 2003 Server where we have the problem. We recreated the problem exactly with a new copy of the software today. :cry: This information, complete with screen shots, has been sent to the support provider.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Ray, it's good to know PSDB in DB2 is working fine with PS since we are going to use DB2 as the source. It's hard to believe PS is choked with Oracle since they all went through ODBC driver to connect to DB. Correct me if I am wrong, I thought PS utilize MDB(Access) to store PS internal DATA such as repository, Profiled result data, etc.. like QualityStage, should the ODBC credentials be also stored as the same format to connect to Oracle and DB2? And it should work for Oracle like DB2. Maybe the DataDirect ODBC drivers for Oracle in PS need to be refreshed!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ProfileStage does not use Microsoft Access internally as far as I am aware.

Officially ProfileStage supports only Oracle, DB2/UDB or Microsoft SQL Server for the ProfileStage database (PSDB).

The problem is not with using Oracle as the PSDB, it's with the install utility that creates the PSDB. There is a workaround, to use the script supplied with ProfileStage (in sql/Oracle) to create and initialize the PSDB, but it's still a bug.
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

Then how does ProfileStage store the connection information in the repository, and where does ProfileStage store the Specification/Analysis Report Database information? Although the Tables Information looks like *.TXT, I think PS needs to place them in somewhere, isn't it? However, It's just my guess since the installation process put the MADC 2.5 in the package, that's why I guess PS utilize Access to store all the Repository information. Please advise if PS has its own Internal Format for those repositories. Thanks!