Need support information on datastage TX/mercator 6.7

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

surdabhi
Participant

Post by surdabhi »

Hi experts,

I am moderately skilled in mercator 6.7, having recently switched from SAP PI/XI. :)

MY roles have changed to that of a support officer for mercator 6.7 interfaces.

Kindly guide me on the common errors that we may come across during monitoring Mercator. :roll:

IF possible, please help me out on some documentation for the total end-to-end scenarios of mercator, so that I may be able to identify the bottlenecks if any, that I may come across during my issue resolution role..

regards,

Aby
Warm regards,

Aby..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So, what you're telling us is that your employer has transferred you into a new role without any intention of providing training for that role?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
surdabhi
Participant

Post by surdabhi »

hey, there's no need to be rude, if i ask you something..

I am moderately qualified with some middleware applications; Fusion, Mercator, Tibco and XI to name a few.

I wanted to know, if I can get any more information from you people, as you are all experts in your field,and I am just starting, while compared to you.
I can say that I am an expert in XI, but can't rate so in other tools, as I am still learning.

If you do not want to share information, Just do not reply to the thread.. I never forced you to watch the post and pass snide remarks.. :)

And I am not telling anything.. Nowhere have I mentioned that i haven't got training, or the role of my employers or their intentions.. that's a total off-topic. I am asking you for help.. Kindly do not draw your own conclusions.. If you have a valid question, Please ask me directly, instead of making the conversation a joke.

Hope that answers your question..

regards,
Aby..
Warm regards,

Aby..
rep
Participant

Re: Need support information on datastage TX/mercator 6.7

Post by rep »

surdabhi wrote:hey, there's no need to be rude, if i ask you something..
I don't think he/she meant that as bad as you're taking it. I would probably of commented on the training aspect as well.

Anyway, the question is very general and may be hard to answer.

As you know, WTX (Mercator) is used to build maps that translate data from one format to another. Once the map is tested, it is implemented into a system file, and deployed to the machine that runs "launcher".

As for common errors, they may spawn from different WTX processes.

Like Map failures. All the possible errors would be in the "Map Designer Reference" guide, in the documentation that comes with the product. Most of the errors you'll see, will be "One or more inputs Invalid" or "Input Type contains errors" (the second is warning, not an error), both pointing to a problem with the data being validated. Other errors include stuff like "Target Not Available", where the output location for the map is not available, for reasons such as the network is down, the ID running the map does not have access to the output directory, or the FTP log in is incorrect.

For errors like the FTP login incorrect, the map will return a "Target Not Available", and you'll have to turn on the trace file for the FTP adapter and see the information inside. The same thing if your output adapter is a message queue. The map will return "Target Not Available", then you turn on the trace file and view it, and it should have the specific MQ error message, like 2085 - unknown object name". Same thing with the email adapter, etc.

Most shops using WTX will have a system dedicated to reading the Audit log from all systems and alerting people, usually through the email adapter, that the return code was not equal to 0 and should be looked at.

Does that help at all?
surdabhi
Participant

thx a lot.

Post by surdabhi »

Dear rep,

I think you might have gone through the other replies posted by ray. Those are quite rude :shock: I believe knowledge is all about sharing rather than being very possessive and obnoxious about it.

OK, Leave it.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I mean, Mercator is almost a black box for me. Your explanation gave me an idea of it for a start.

I am dealing with this landscape, where there's Mercator, PI and MQ series.

Now it in migration phase to PI/XI.

Since I am into support, and the KT is still going on, really do not have any questions to ask which will be specific to a problem. Hence i asked a general question, so that i may get some insight to which realm I am getting into.

I think in the coming days, will have an awful lot of questions to ask. I know most of them might have already been covered in the forum, Shall search for it, and if not, I know whom to ask. I just hope you would help me out here.

warm regards,
Aby.
Warm regards,

Aby..
surdabhi
Participant

thx rep.

Post by surdabhi »

Hey, NO Problem. Just message me anytime you are coming over to bangalore. I can guarantee, You will have a blast !!!!!!!!!! and am not speaking abt the bomb scare. :lol:

Some of my german and dutch friends are here also. they will be staying over for another 2-3 weeks i guess. so, its fun fun fun all the way.

Weather here in bangalore is always either summer, windy or just cool. So, not a problem with the weather. and the rains, we just get used to it. thts the way it is here. Adapt, Adjust and then there's no difference at all. :wink:

and abt Ray, i think he is a lot senior and far more experienced in TX than some of us newbies. So, I really do not have anything against him. I just thought this innocent question of mine doesn't become a b*** crack joke for all.

Hope you understand.
Sorry, if i was over reactive. :(
Warm regards,

Aby..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No problem. But please note that I have no experience whatsoever with Mercator or TX.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jvmerc
Participant

Post by jvmerc »

Just an FYI.... I probably wouldn't answer to many questions for a person posting such a defensive response to a simple not so rude but perhaps assumptive question...... But I'll let that go.....

The maps are typically used to transform non-standard data to a standardized data format, ie... external data to a standardized internal format.

The converse is also true. You can take internally formated data and reformat it to something required by a different environement or external trading partner.

The nice thing about the tool is that it can be used fairly easily to translate data to and from many data formats like xml, edi and edifac to name a few. Because of the design the tool is able to take advantage of other protocol APIs. It does not for example have an FTP process it has an api that utilizes the FTP application already on the machine/server. Same is true for DB applications. You can use the DID tool to help extract from and load to databases.

You can choose to create systems that will execute maps when specific events occur, like a file appearing at a specific location. You can also tie system events to database triggers. Or, you can take advantage of the command server an let another tool execute your map(s).