Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3

Post by admin »

I have logged this with Informix today (hi Louise), so while they are researching it, I was wondering if anyone else in this group has encountered this problem.

We are currently using DataStage 3.5 and extensively use the ORAOCI8 plugin (version 2.2). When doing a reference lookup with this plugin, if multiple rows are returned, only the first is used. The others are discarded.

There are some situations where I use fuzzy matching and sort the rows so as to get the best match as the first of the rows returned.

I have been looking forward to DataStage 4.x as it has the ability to optionally return multiple rows which would also be very helpful for me in some situations. Unfortunately, it appears that this is only available for UniVerse and ODBC stages, not plugins.

We have started testing our jobs on DataStage 4.1.1

Unfirtunately, the behaviour of the ORAOCI8 ver 2.3 plugin (which came with DS 4.1.1) has caught me completely by surprise. When multiple rows are returned, it generates an Oracle error. It would appear that this newer plugin now explicitly tells Oracle that it only wants a single row. If the query returns more than one row then you get an Oracle error.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks,

David Barham
Information Technology Consultant
CoalMIS Project
Anglo Coal Australia Pty Ltd
Brisbane, Australia
e-mail: David.Barham@anglocoal.com.au

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete this e-mail from your in-box. Do not copy it to anybody else.
admin

Post by admin »

There are actually 2 different OCI8 pluggins that get delivered with 4.1.1 one is identified as 816 this one will only work properly if the 8.1.6 client libraries are used If you are on 8.1.5 client or earlier use the original one that is for 8.0. This may be of help on your issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Barham [mailto:David.Barham@Anglocoal.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 8:45 PM
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3

I have logged this with Informix today (hi Louise), so while they are researching it, I was wondering if anyone else in this group has encountered this problem.

We are currently using DataStage 3.5 and extensively use the ORAOCI8 plugin (version 2.2). When doing a reference lookup with this plugin, if multiple rows are returned, only the first is used. The others are discarded.

There are some situations where I use fuzzy matching and sort the rows so as to get the best match as the first of the rows returned.

I have been looking forward to DataStage 4.x as it has the ability to optionally return multiple rows which would also be very helpful for me in some situations. Unfortunately, it appears that this is only available for UniVerse and ODBC stages, not plugins.

Unfirtunately, the behaviour of the ORAOCI8 ver 2.3 plugin (which came with DS 4.1.1) has caught me completely by surprise. When multiple rows are returned, it generates an Oracle error. It would appear that this newer plugin now explicitly tells Oracle that it only wants a single row. If the query returns more than one row then you get an Oracle error.

Thanks,

David Barham
CoalMIS Project
Brisbane, Australia

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete this e-mail from your in-box. Do not copy it to anybody else.
admin

Post by admin »

Hi, there

I am using Datastage ver3.6, all plug in component work very well, include ORAOC18 plug in. So I think you should check the datastage system setting to see if you install it propertly.

Regards

xiong

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Barham [SMTP:David.Barham@Anglocoal.com.au]
> Sent: 07 March 2001 14:45
> To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
> Subject: Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3
>
> I have logged this with Informix today (hi Louise), so while they are
> researching it, I was wondering if anyone else in this group has
> encountered this problem.
>
> We are currently using DataStage 3.5 and extensively use the ORAOCI8
> plugin (version 2.2). When doing a reference lookup with this plugin,
> if multiple
> rows are returned, only the first is used. The others are discarded.
>
> There are some situations where I use fuzzy matching and sort the rows
> so as to get the best match as the first of the rows returned.
>
> I have been looking forward to DataStage 4.x as it has the ability to
> optionally return multiple rows which would also be very helpful for
> me in some situations. Unfortunately, it appears that this is only
> available for UniVerse and ODBC stages, not plugins.
>
> We have started testing our jobs on DataStage 4.1.1
>
> Unfirtunately, the behaviour of the ORAOCI8 ver 2.3 plugin (which came
> with DS 4.1.1) has caught me completely by surprise. When multiple
> rows are returned, it generates an Oracle error. It would appear that
> this newer plugin now explicitly tells Oracle that it only wants a
> single row. If the
> query returns more than one row then you get an Oracle error.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything that can be done
> about it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Barham
> Information Technology Consultant
> CoalMIS Project
> Anglo Coal Australia Pty Ltd
> Brisbane, Australia
> e-mail: David.Barham@anglocoal.com.au
>
>
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and
> are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
> they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete this e-mail from your
> in-box. Do not copy it to anybody else.
>
admin

Post by admin »

Rick,

Interesting point. We are using the Oracle 8.1.7 client libraries on the server where we are testing DS 4.1.1.

I noticed when installing that I had a choice of ORAOCI8 and ORAOCI8i.

Our current jobs all use ORAOCI8 2.2 and the Oracle 8.0.4 client libraries. We have imported these jobs into DS 4.1.1.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly - I dont know) that ORAOCI8i is a different plugin as far as designer is concerned. I assumed that to use the ORAOCI8i plugin, the jobs would have to be changed to explicitly use that plugin. I guess my assumption was based on ORAOCI (Oracle 7) being different to ORAOCI8.

Im going to try installing the ORAOCI8i plugin and see what happens.

Thanks

Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:08 PM
Subject: RE: Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3

There are actually 2 different OCI8 pluggins that get delivered with 4.1.1 one is identified as 816 this one will only work properly if the 8.1.6 client libraries are used If you are on 8.1.5 client or earlier use the original one that is for 8.0. This may be of help on your issue.

From: David Barham [mailto:David.Barham@Anglocoal.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 8:45 PM
Subject: Differences between ORAOCI8 2.2 and 2.3

Thanks,

David Barham
CoalMIS Project
Brisbane, Australia