Operations in Integrity

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Operations in Integrity

Post by nag0143 »

What is the Use of Operations in Integrity and can anyone explain in brief...

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not sure what you mean by "operations". If you mean "operators", these are the building blocks from which you construct user-written procedures. For example, there is the FFC (file format conversion) operator, the GTF (general transfer function) operator, and quite a few more. You put these together, specify their input and output files plus exactly what you want them to do, and place one or more into a runnable procedure (operators cannot be run in isolation).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

Yeah Operators sorry :idea: But Wht is the specific use of those operators I mean wht will be their main usage... generally where will we use w.r.t to integrity I have the manual i know wht each operator does but where should and in wht case should i implement those.....

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no generic answer to that. You have particular tasks that you want to perform, maybe adding a sequence and an identifier to a file. You know what each operator does, therefore you can choose the appropriate operator - or series of operators - to perform that task.
Then you build these into a procedure, which "wraps" the operator, identifies input and output files, and becomes an executable component.
For example, which operator do you think would be most appropriate to perform the task described above?
It's like a programming language, and your question asked "for each word in the language what it its most appropriate use?".
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

Thanks Ray...
Yeah but you know in such a short time i need to get all these... making me impatient...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've been at it over 30 years. Have learned patience. There's always more to learn. Rate of learning is finite.

May I quote Confucious on the secret of all this?
If one learns from others but does not think one will be bewildered.
If one thinks but does not learn one will be in peril.
I try to make something like this my philosophy. Always think about what you're learning, try to understand what's happening, and how it might have relevance to what you're doing not just right now but also in past and future ventures.