MetaRecon doubts

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

datastagexchange

MetaRecon doubts

Post by datastagexchange »

vignesh123

India
1 Posts Posted - 05/02/2002 : 23:37:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear All,

Please find below the doubts/understandings on metarecon tool.

1) Meta recon is a data integration tool that will collect the data from disparate source systems.
Q: I have sources as flatfiles,relational systems and others. How far meta recon can be helpful to collect the data.How can i do that at the same time?Any examples will be appreciated.

2) After collecting data from different source systems, meta recon converts all the data into its own format before loading the same to target databases.
Q: Am i correct? Correct me if i'm wrong. If yes, can i load the data into more than 1 database(oracle/DB2).

3) Q: can i use metarecon alone as an ETL Tool or do i need to club with other ETL Tools...Datastage, Ab initio,Informatica.

4) Q: Do we have any evaluation copy of meta recon?Pls.provide the link.

5) Q: Usage of metarecon tool with Ab initio(ETL)???

Expecting reply ASAP......Thanks in Advance.
datastagexchange

Re: MetaRecon doubts

cmueller
Administrator

USA
17 Posts Posted - 05/06/2002 : 10:11:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metarecon is a data profiling and analysis tool that is used to reverse engineer Meta Data from disparate sources (flat files, relational systems,ODBC). It is very useful when you know little of your source systems, have data quality issues with the source data or need to combine data from multiple sources.

It does not store your data, Metarecon stores information (meta data) about your data sources in a database (MRDB) that can be created in SQL Server or Oracle for example.

Once you have analyzed all your data sources(column analysis,table analysis etc...) MetaRecon is used to create a new target database or use an exsiting database to map your existing sources to. If it is a new target database, it will create the DDL for you. It also features a transformation mapping editor that will create DataStage or Informatica ETL jobs for you. I believe those are the only two ETL tools it supports.
datastagexchange

Re: MetaRecon Doubts

shiva

India
14 Posts Posted - 09/11/2002 : 12:22:27
cmueller wrote:
"Metarecon is a data profiling and analysis tool that is used to reverse engineer Meta Data from disparate sources (flat files, relational systems,ODBC). It is very useful when you know little of your source systems, have data quality issues with the source data or need to combine data from multiple sources.
It does not store your data, Metarecon stores information (meta data) about your data sources in a database (MRDB) that can be created in SQL Server or Oracle for example."

Metastage does something similar to this. Using Metabroker the metadata can be collected from disparate sources. how different is metarecon from metastage? how does both the tools score against each other? could you give a comparison of its features??

cmueller wrote....
"Once you have analyzed all your data sources(column analysis,table analysis etc...) MetaRecon is used to create a new target database or use an exsiting database to map your existing sources to. If it is a new target database, it will create the DDL for you. It also features a transformation mapping editor that will create DataStage or Informatica ETL jobs for you. I believe those are the only two ETL tools it supports. "

Metastage is integrated datstage in sucha way that it can be used to capture process metadata from a datastage job run. Moreover, Metasatge come along with metabrokers that can be used to collect metadata from sources like DB, ERwin model, Excel, business objects, datastage etc...
could you give me pointers/resources that compares these two tools?
Thanks.

datastagexchange

Re: MetaRecon Doubts

gleman

USA
1 Posts Posted - 09/27/2002 : 08:21:33
>>>>>>Metastage does something similar to this. Using Metabroker the metadata can be collected from disparate sources. how different is metarecon from metastage? how does both the tools score against each other? could you give a comparison of its features??

There's really no comparison between MetaStage and MetaRecon -- they do vastly different things. MetaStage can collect meta data from various tools, but those tools have to have access to the meta data. You can think of it as a huge catalog of catalogs.

MetaRecon does something entirely different -- it's reverse engineering vs extraction. MetaRecon reverse engineers meta data where there previously was no meta data. For instance, you can point MetaRecon at a flat ASCII text file and it will reverse engineer the actual data types, distributions, primary keys, foreign keys, relationships, etc. None of that information had ever been captured before you ran it through MetaRecon, but when you're finished you've got a complete schema from raw ASCII data. It's a complete analysis of your source systems. MetaStage and other meta data tools extract meta data by loading information that has already been trapped in a catalog. MetaRecon reverse engineers meta data by looking through the data, value by value, and applying an inferencing engine to determine what the meta data really is.

Think of MetaRecon as an archeological dig. When you don't know anything about your source system, it's extremely valuable to give you the complete picture. You could then use MetaStage to make what you discovered in MetaRecon available elsewhere.

>>>>>>can i use metarecon alone as an ETL Tool or do i need to club with other ETL Tools...Datastage, Ab initio,Informatica

MetaRecon does not provide any ETL functionality. It integrates with DataStage in that it can generate jobs based upon the transformation mappings it generates, but it never moves the data itself. It does not provide support for Informatica or Ab Initio, it's part of Ascential's product suite and is tightly integrated with DataStage.

>>>>>>Do we have any evaluation copy of meta recon?Pls.provide the link.

I'm not aware of an eval version, but contact your Ascential rep.

Greg Leman
CEO, Metagenix, Inc.
1800 W. Martin Luther King Pkwy
Durham, NC 27707
919-490-0034 x217
gleman@metagenix.com