DSMigrate - Has Anyone heard about it ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kiran_kom
Participant

DSMigrate - Has Anyone heard about it ?

Post by kiran_kom »

Hi,

Has anyone heard about a Job migration tool called DSMigrate ? I want some information about this tool.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Well, Google seems to be a good search tool :wink:

DSMigrate doesn't look like it has anything to do with DataStage
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSMigrate = Directory Services Migration Tool for NetWare. As Ken notes, Google is your friend. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

DSMigrator is an Ascential's proprietary tool that converts ETL jobs\mapping from one tool to DataStage Jobs. It was under development and bug fixing until June.

I have heard of this tool being used to convert Infomatica mappings to DataStage Jobs. I do not know if it has been made compatible with any other ETL tool. I am also not aware of the level of complexity the tool can handle in Jobs.

Regards,
Sumit
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... DSMigrator. Probably not something they allow "out of house", I would think.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

I do not know if ascential has any plans to ever release it as a product.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Could be in use by the Ascential/PeopleSoft team that is migrating Informatica PeopleSoft jobs across to DataStage jobs for PeopleSoft EPM clients.
sumitgulati
Participant

Post by sumitgulati »

Yaa, the tool development actually started for PeopleSoft migration from Informatica to DataStage.
kiran_kom
Participant

Post by kiran_kom »

thanks for the information guys..... I hoping it was publicly available
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It would be very nice if Ascential released it as an unsupported utility, and it would probably get a tit-for-tat response from Informatica in the form of a migrator that goes the other way.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Informatica converter very complex

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

I had a chance to work on the Peoplesoft DW conversion of Informatica last February 04 at an Ascential client. The conversion tool got 90% of the job done but it's the other 10% that kills you. Ascential had one of their best Datastage guys in there plus myself and Peoplesoft employees, and it was a killer. All kinds of wierd things happen when you are dealing with datatypes between Informatica and Datastage. No conversion tool could anticipate how that business decided to use some of the data types and always do the right things. You want an example. This company had a simple integer code for one field. Informatica for some reason 0 filled it to a certain number of decimal places. This business got used to it and insisted that it be that way. The Ascential converter came along and converted it back to a simple integer (what I think was the right thing to do) but we spent all this time making Ascential do what Informatica did. So if Ascential were to give the tool out I would argue it should only given to very mature, technically competent people who don't have access to any lawyers.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution