Linking to passwords without having them in code

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

afreas
Participant

Linking to passwords without having them in code

Post by afreas »

Under version 7 of datastage are there any easy ways to embed links to database passwords rather than hardcoding them. I know that they are hidden but I am looking for a way to point the job to a password link so we don't have to recompile when we change the password. Thanks much.
ART
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You should never have to 'recompile' a job to change a password, at the very least it should be a Job Parameter. Then it is just a matter of changing the default using the 'Job/Set Defaults...' menu option on the Director.

Your other option is to pull the values from 'storage' and set them at run-time using the DSSetParam function or using Sequence jobs. Storage can be whatever you feel is appropriate - a flat file, a hash or another database table.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Fair warning: Passwords are visible under your Scratch Space for PX jobs, written to the file starting with "ora." and ending with ".par". This is true for 6.x

It is an open issue. Apparently, it was addressed for 6.0.2. I know that this issue was discovered after 7.0 was released, so it may be addressed on 7.0.1.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).