How to use'named pipe'?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, because that's the way a Named Pipe works as far as I know. Only one process can write to it at a time and only one process can read from it at a time. [:(]

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job jobw can write the same information into as many named pipes as you need (they will need different names in the O/S of course). Each of the other jobs can read from its dedicated named pipe.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, should have added that little bit of advise. [:I]

-craig
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, not *literally* the same information, but from the same source. From what I understand of PE (we don't have it) you would assign a portion of the records to be written to each pipe - 10 pipes, each would write 1/10 of the records to their pipe, for example. Then run the jobs in parallel.

I think that the PE job designer canvas thingy automates alot of this for you.

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can do most of this with 5.2; jobs can be run in parallel in a schedule or from a job control routine. In 6.0 you can get this effect without having to write as much (any?) code. However, it is definitely possible in 5.2.