DataStage to XML and Vice-versa

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The code that DataStage uses for export/import XML is proprietary and built in to the product. You should be able to tell from the interface that it accesses a style sheet to determine the format that is required. Exactly how it does this is not published, but if you compare the results of an export with the definition in the style sheet, you should be just about there.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My first reaction was to assert that there is no data in the XML that is unique to DataStage but, on reflection, this is not really a helpful response (even though true - everything that DataStage exports was imported from somewhere else or created by someone using DataStage tools, except for built-in components such as stage types which, by default, are not exported).
When I re-read your question I note that you are migrating DATA from an application. My earlier answer, and the paragraph above, talk about METADATA, not DATA.
There is no particular XML file format specific to DataStage; but what you need to read is the documentation for the XML PACK (which contains the XML Reader stage or the XML Writer stage, and describes the XML meta data plug in and how to set its options. This document (ENU-XMLPack.pdf) is on the DataStage CD.
If you are using MetaStage, you will also be able to use the XML MetaBroker to move XML-based metadata into and out of the MetaStage hub.

Edited by - ray.wurlod on 12/24/2002 00:36:24