Job Hangs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinivasb
Participant

Post by srinivasb »

Karthik,

Hi.Though u have not mentioned the type of RDBMS , I presume that it might be Oracle or SQL Server etc.
SQL Server has time outs, you may need to reset that settings.
If you are reading from DBs resting on servers which may have high CPU utilization, there might be an issue.

Try resetting time out - do some manual reading on the DB - especially query response times
Try running the jobs in sequence with one read and one look up ie split the job .
All the best

Srinivas.B
Dubai
Mobile :00971507380893
Starg
Participant

Post by Starg »

I've had similar experiences, and here is what I've done.
First check the &PH& dir to see if any critical errors occurred. If so then give the HelpDesk a call and let the know.
Second, place a file stage just before the last database insert. This will cause all the final inserts to be placed on hold until this file is complete, you can then just test with the database inserts (or is it a bulk load).
Third, check to see if there are any blocking processes on the database during a load, as far as I am know when running in debug mode each individual row is inserted into the database and committed. In normal processing DS seems to filter rows through in 100 row batches, maybe with concurrent inserts combined with the other stages is causing problems.
Fourth, if everything upto the file stage before the insert is OK, change the final database insert into a sequential file. This should checkout if there is some error in the final transform and not database related( I once had a routine that worked fine in Test but would just Hang when called from a job).
If you could also let us know the DBMS Version, OS Platform and DS Version it would help.

Let us know how you go.

Starg