DS code behaving differently in different environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

s_gsl@yahoo.co.in
Participant

DS code behaving differently in different environment

Post by s_gsl@yahoo.co.in »

Hi, I have same DSX in prod and DEV. But while selecting any value from DUAL in prod it is padding some space where as in dev it is not. I can ensure no change in DS jobs. Could someone put any light what could be the issue?
Last edited by s_gsl@yahoo.co.in on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santanu Ghosal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are these actually Server jobs? Do you have this issue with all Oracle sources or just literally when you select something from DUAL?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
s_gsl@yahoo.co.in
Participant

Yes, this is a server job. We are getting this issue while doing a look up (Oracle -- >Hash File-->Transformer) and the field is CHAR(2). Then we tried to simple querying DUAL table to select any value and see the issue is PROD version is adding extra spaces where as DEV is not. I am not sure how can i attach an image here else i can send the screen shot. Anyway, thanks for your help.
Santanu Ghosal
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

What is your APT_STRING_PADCHAR set to in each project/environment?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe that affects Server jobs at all...
-craig

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are the two jobs SELECTing the same database? If not, the basic database settings might be different.
s_gsl@yahoo.co.in
Participant

Yes, both the databases are same.
Santanu Ghosal
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

'Same' as in exact same database or they are two different databases but set up exactly the same?

Where exactly is this CHAR(2) in your job? I'm more surprised to hear it doesn't get padded with 'an extra space' in DEV than it does happen in PROD. That's the nature of CHAR fields, they automatically pad out to their full size. Parallel jobs have an option to control what character is used for the padding which is why Paul asked his question, Server jobs not so much.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You are going to have to work out what is different between the two environments. Clearly something is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.