Cobol ,PL/sql

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

spkrimb
Participant

Cobol ,PL/sql

Post by spkrimb »

Hi ,

My client is using cobol and pl/sql for etl and they are planning to use datastage as etl but my manager is asking as to why to use datastage as etl instead we can continue to use cobol ,pl/sql as an etl.Can u tell any adavantages of using datastage as etl rather than pl/sql or cobol.

thanks
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

Just somethings off the top of my head.

Datastage Pros over PL/SQL:

Quicker to build
Out of the box error logging
Out of the box audit information logging
Easier to maintain
Easier to debug

It is very easy to write bad pl/sql compared to a bad datastage job. Some people might not agree with me but from my experience on various projects in the last 10 years has shown me otherwise.
ETLJOB
Participant

Post by ETLJOB »

In addition to the above points here are some technical bits.

Mainframes

Connectivity to the other open data sources is bit harder.
Have to live with time consuming program concepts to fetch and process data from data sources (Declare/Open/Close Cursor, Open/Close/looping file etc).
Have to write sort card, aggregation logic and other logics manually.

DataStage

You can integrate multiple sources from different platforms with much ease in Datastage.
DB connections for almost all databases are readily available with native drivers.
Sort stage, aggregator stage etc are available for the easy processing of data.
Understanding the data flow from source to target is much simpler in GUI.
And the most powerful stage "Transformer" does almost everything for you.

Of course, the DataStage advantage list would keep on going but certainly you can do ETL using COBOL with some hard work in place.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

some additional thoughts...

Simpler maintenance over time...ESPECIALLY if the team changes or people move on or get promoted...... someone can look at a DS Job and can quickly get an idea of what is going on, even if they don't know the exact details.....not always so easy with a 3gl.....

Also consider things like metadata management, data lineage, impact analysis and other such things as you get from graphical tooling.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>