Insert date value into SQL Server datetime columm

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Insert date value into SQL Server datetime columm

Post by sbass1 »

[--- 05Mar09 - If you've found this post via search, and don't want to read the long thread, scroll to the end for details of the resolution ---]

(Sorry, I know this is a FAQ, I did search before posting...)

Job layout:

Seq File --> xfm --> DRS stage, SQL Server table

DDL and test inserts via MS SQL Server Management Studio:

USE [blah]
GO
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ScottDateTesting](
[Num] [int] NULL,
[EffectiveDate] [datetime] NULL
) ON [PRIMARY]

DELETE FROM dbo.ScottDateTesting
GO
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (1,'16-FEB-09')
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (2,'2009-16-02')
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (3,'16-FEB-09 12:34:56')
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (4,'2009-16-02 12:34:56')
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (5,'2009-02-16') /* does not work */
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (6,'20091602') /* does not work */
INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (7,'2009 16 02') /* does not work */
GO
SELECT * FROM dbo.ScottDateTesting

What works:
Leave EffectiveDate metadata datatype=Timestamp
This generates the SQL code:

INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (EffectiveDate) VALUES (TO_DATE(?, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'))

After a bit of hacking, I've deduced that TO_DATE must be an internal DataStage function that converts the string to the proper format for the target database. TO_DATE isn't a SQL Server function, although I've used it before on Oracle projects.

What doesn't work:
Change EffectiveDate metadata datatype=Date (my input data only has date data, but SQL Server doesn't have a date datatype, only datetime). So my metadata is now out of sync with my physical data in an attempt to generate SQL code that works.

This generates the SQL code:

INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (EffectiveDate) VALUES (?)

1) I'm wondering why the DRS stage doesn't generate the code:

INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (EffectiveDate) VALUES (TO_DATE(?, 'YYYY-MM-DD'))

(I swear I had some combination once that generated this code, but I can't seem to duplicate it again...)

2) I've used various permutations of oconv to format the string to values that worked when I submitted them via the SQL Server client. They all failed. Here are excerpts from the DS job log:

ScottTestingTimestamp..xfm: At row 1, link "Load", while processing column "EffectiveDate"
Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "2009-16-02" to Date type unsuccessful

ScottTestingTimestamp..xfm: At row 1, link "Load", while processing column "EffectiveDate"
Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "16-FEB-09" to Date type unsuccessful

Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "16 FEB 09" to Date type unsuccessful

Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "2009-02-16" to Date type unsuccessful

One last thought I had is that maybe my quote character is not set properly for the target table, so that what looks like "2009-16-02" in the job log wasn't the literal string '2009-16-02' (including single quotes) passed to SQL Server. But, in the DRS stage, I don't see where this is set (unlike the ODBC stage).

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by sbass1 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Change the Effectivedate in your DRS stage to Timestamp, and make sure you are passing the input in the format 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS', even , if you dont have time part also append it with 00:00:00.

Convert your incoming date from the sequential file to the above specified format, using OCONV.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That sounds like Oracle advice. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you tried using an internal format date?

Have you tried using an internal format date with the Data Element set to Date?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

ray.wurlod wrote:(1) Have you tried using an internal format date?

(2) Have you tried using an internal format date with the Data Element set to Date? ...
(1) You mean something like iconv("2009-02-25","DYMD") == 15032? Nope. If SQL Server accepts

INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (EffectiveDate) VALUES ('2009-25-02')

from the SQL Server client, I'm not sure why I'd be expected to try

INSERT INTO dbo.ScottDateTesting (Num,EffectiveDate) VALUES (15032) ???

(2) Sorry not sure what you mean here??? Isn't this asking the same thing as #1?

Again...I know how to get this to work - use timestamp metadata and timestamp string format.

What I'm wanting to know is:

1) Why doesn't the DRS stage create TO_DATE(?,'YYYY-MM-DD') code if the output column type is DATE?

2) If

works in SQL Server, then why doesn't

work when the incoming data is definitely 2009-25-02?
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

sbass1 wrote:What I'm wanting to know is:

1) Why doesn't the DRS stage create TO_DATE(?,'YYYY-MM-DD') code if the output column type is DATE?

2) If

Maybe I am missing something but
TO_DATE(?,'YYYY-MM-DD')

does not match

2009-25-02

Unless you are on Saturn...

That aside, is your DataStage date format the same as your SQL Server format? Particularly if your DB is expecting the format YYYY-DD-MM...[/b]
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Kryt0n wrote:
sbass1 wrote:What I'm wanting to know is:

2) If

Maybe I am missing something but
TO_DATE(?,'YYYY-MM-DD')

does not match

2009-25-02

Unless you are on Saturn...

That aside, is your DataStage date format the same as your SQL Server format? Particularly if your DB is expecting the format YYYY-DD-MM...[/b]
Yes you're missing something:
was just an example. The date format string could be anything; the fact is the TO_DATE function call is not generated in the code.

And since that code is NOT generated, it doesn't apply to my second question, which is why a syntactically correct SQL Server insert statement fails in DS. (Please re-read point #2 above carefully...)
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

why a syntactically correct SQL Server insert statement fails in DS
Working with SQL Server from UNIX utilizes ODBC, so I'd look at the capabilities/limitations inherent in the ODBC driver for SQL Server.

Sorry, I haven't worked with SQL Server ODBC so I can't offer any advice there.

Mike
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Mike wrote:
Working with SQL Server from UNIX utilizes ODBC, so I'd look at the capabilities/limitations inherent in the ODBC driver for SQL Server.
Mike
Does it matter that I'm using the DRS stage and not the ODBC stage for output? I thought the DRS stage used internal DS drivers specific to each database, rather than generic ODBC drivers.
sbass1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sbass1 »

Mike wrote:
Mike
Does it matter that I'm using the DRS stage and not the ODBC stage for output? I thought the DRS stage used internal DS drivers specific to each database, rather than generic ODBC drivers.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

My understanding is that the DRS stage uses native database interfaces... and there is no native SQL Server interface on UNIX.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DRS can also use ODBC protocol.

A UNIX-based ODBC driver for SQL Server ships with DataStage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Which means that even though you're using the DRS stage, you are probably still talking to SQL Server through an ODBC interface.

Mike
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Could the Sybase stages be configured to access SQL Server?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Which should mean that, by setting the Data Element to Date, you can get the internal format date automatically converted by the BCI (BASIC SQL Call Interface) through which the ODBC driver is invoked.