Hash file in Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shrivaths s
Participant

Hash file in Datastage

Post by shrivaths s »

Hi,
I am new to datastage, i need some sample dynamic and static hashfile samples.
if possible please send it to my mailid shrivaths@gmail.com
Thanks in advance
Shrivaths
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's no such thing. By the way, the correct term is "hashed" file. A hashed file is a database table. Asking for a sample of a hashed file is like asking for a sample of an Oracle or DB2 table. It's just not going to happen.

There are both dynamic and static hashed files in each project directory. VOCLIB and SYS.MESSAGE are examples of static hashed files. Most of the other tables, like DS_JOBS, are dynamic.

The difference is that a dynamic hashed file can manage its table space automatically based on the volume of data requiring to be stored, while a static hashed file can only be reorganized with manual intervention. But, when the volume of data is unchanging, such as in the SYS.MESSAGE table, well-tuned static hashed files offer certain advantages in access times. If the volume of data is changing, however, static hashed files need to be monitored and, possibly, re-tuned periodically.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shrivaths s
Participant

Post by shrivaths s »

In document it mentioned that there are two types of hash files (Static and Dynanic). It is mainly work as lookup table and for better performance. Can you please confirm this ?
Shrivaths
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Better than what? What really is your question?

Hashed files are brilliant for key equality lookups because a key can be found with a single logical I/O irrespective of the number of keys in the table. No table scan, no index scan, no index even.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

Hey , I think you are trying to create a new Hashed file and practice.
For this you have to go through document's and try it out. Incase you have any errors or problems post in Dsxchange , then we can help you.
But no one can send you any hashed file through mail. you must read more on stages and jobs. jobs can be exported and moved, but stages can't be moved or exported.

Any way search in Google, people are lucky to get full job which uses major stages. import in your datastage environment and try it out. You may be lucky :wink:
Thanks, BK
shrivaths s
Participant

Post by shrivaths s »

Thanks, i understood. I will do it.
Shrivaths