BLOB Data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

BLOB Data

Post by nag0143 »

Hi, I have to read a BLOB data from DB2 table and write to a DB2 table with out any transformations, just a direct dump. I have to do this datastage if there is a solution.

Please let me know how can i do this, I tried various options provided in the forum through search. But couldn't accomplish it.

Thanks
Last edited by nag0143 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What did you try? I use "VarBinary" or "LongVarBinary" with some success.
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

ArndW wrote:What did you try? I use "VarBinary" or "LongVarBinary" with some success. ...
I used "LongVarChar", but when I used "LongVarBinary" for some strange reason I am losing connection from designer while trying to view data..

So, From what I see, DS doesn't support BLOB datatypes ? even when not involving any transformations ??
Last edited by nag0143 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toshea
Participant

Post by toshea »

Use a connector such as the ODBC Connector. The connectors support LOBs whether passed inline or by reference. If the LOB is truly too large to pass inline, pass it by reference. The downstream connector will read the LOB from the upstream connector in chunks. When passing by reference, you definitely cannot do any transformations on the data in between, since the downstream connector reads the data directly from the upstream connector.
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

when you say ODBC connector, do you mean ODBC stage in datastage. Sorry I couldn't get you. Can you please eloborate a little.
toshea
Participant

Post by toshea »

The ODBC Connector is a new stage in Information Server 8.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Valid for Server jobs or just Parallel ones?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

ODBC connector is only for parallel doesn't exist for Server jobs.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The max length of an ODBC record is controlled also in the ODBC setup. There are several good posts about this.
Mamu Kim
nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

I am able to unload and load the data into target DB2 table using "LongVarBinary". But How to verify whether I am loading the correct BLOB data. I know this is out of DS .anyone please explain how do i compare BLOB data check in DB2 UDB.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I personally don't know but don't you have a DBA you could ask?
-craig

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

I found third party tool to look at BLOB data, but there is a difference from source table to target table when i used "LongVarBinary" . I am wondering is there any easy way out with BLOB data or can any one suggest any other method. I have searched the forum and looks like most of them suggested to use VarBinary or LongVarBinary but this is somehow not working for me (though it is loading fine but not right data).
If I need to do in DS, Is there any other way?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And what did you find the difference to be? It should move it over untouched, unless perhaps it is getting truncated. :?

Still, the bottom line is it is unsupported in DataStage so your best answer may be to use a native tool to transport BLOB data.
-craig

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nag0143 »

Looks like data is getting truncated, is there any way to handle this ?

Thanks
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

You might consider using JavaPack....several years ago I worked with a site where we implemented JavaPack to read and write ORACLE BLOBs.....in fact, they were .ppt's. DataStage would insert a row with the name and path of the .ppt, and then pass the key value and path to a Java class that would retrieve the document and update the Oracle BLOB field with the actual .ppt. Very interesting. I built the hooks for java into DS and they did the java coding to Oracle, so I can't help you with that piece, but it worked perfectly and ultimatlely only took about 2 or 3 hours to implement.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>