Datastage server directory running out of space

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nishant_prakash
Participant

Datastage server directory running out of space

Post by nishant_prakash »

Hi Friends,

I am facing this issue of Datastage server directory on UNIX "Ascential/Datastage" running out of space frequently. My system administrator keeps increasing the size of the directory but in a matter of 10 days the directory has grown from 8 GB to 11 GB in size!!! I am baffled because I cant understand the reason for this. The file sytem for writing the datafiles is completely different, so there is no chance of data files being written to datastage project directory.

I have also eneabled Auto purge job log feature in datastage admin. So the log files hould not create a prob either..

Can any of you shed some light on this peculiar issue? Your help will be highly appreciated.
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Datastage server directory running out of space

Post by DeepakCorning »

Not sure but huge Hashed files??
nishant_prakash
Participant

Hi Deepak, as i told earlier the files are written to a completely different directory meant for storing all kinds of data and hashed files.. So why should the datastage direcoty get filled up?
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Purge the log files periodically, you can set the options also from the Administrator of auto purge.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Are there any jobs running with large number of warnings, if yes, then try to modify the jobs in such a way that you don't get warnings at all.
nishant_prakash
Participant

loveojha2 wrote:Are there any jobs running with large number of warnings, if yes, then try to modify the jobs in such a way that you don't get warnings at all.
Hi Loveojha2,

As long as the Auto purge feature is enabled in ds admin, it dsnt matter even if the job gives warnings.. I have already tried all that..

Any other suggestions?
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Check which files are relatively big in size and what is their type (log,RTBP,temp file)?

Just classify the space utilized by the different types of file, that may lead to some clue.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Code: Select all

#!/bin/ksh
# 2GB
find . -size +2000000000c -exec ls -l {} \;
Adjust the size down for smaller than 2GB files.
Mamu Kim
nishant_prakash
Participant

loveojha2 wrote:Check which files are relatively big in size and what is their type (log,RTBP,temp file)?

Just classify the space utilized by the different types of file, that may lead to some clue.
There are a lot of 'TEMP*', 'RT_LOG*' and 'RT_STATUS*' files in the project directory, But I feel these files are generated internally by ds processes and are required.. Do you mean to say that I can DELETE these files?
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Do you mean to say that I can DELETE these files?
No :wink:
Otherwise you will lose your project
nishant_prakash
Participant

loveojha2 wrote:
Do you mean to say that I can DELETE these files?
No :wink:
Otherwise you will lose your project
Then what are you exaclty suggesting...
I would appreciate if you be clear in your suggestions...
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

How many jobs are there in the project?
If they are not hugh in numbers.
My advise could be taking export of the entire project with the executable and creating a different project with that, then you can make a comparison actually, since you have said that you are auto purging the log and you are not maintaining Hashed Files in the project directory, so there should not be much of a difference.
nishant_prakash
Participant

loveojha2 wrote:How many jobs are there in the project?
If they are not hugh in numbers.
My advise could be taking export of the entire project with the executable and creating a different project with that, then you can make a comparison actually, since you have said that you are auto purging the log and you are not maintaining Hashed Files in the project directory, so there should not be much of a difference.
Ok.. can you tell me if it is usual for a project with approx 2000 jobs and sequences to occupy 11 GB of space????
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Ok.. can you tell me if it is usual for a project with approx 2000 jobs and sequences to occupy 11 GB of space????
We have around 10K maps in one project with around 1 GB of space.
nishant_prakash
Participant

loveojha2 wrote:
We have around 10K maps in one project with around 1 GB of space.
So you mean to say that it is normal?