Standards and conventions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavan_rk
Participant

Standards and conventions

Post by pavan_rk »

Hi all,

We are going to start work in DataStage server jobs. Can any one please share the Job construction standards and naming conventions that needs to be followed.

Thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There are no hard rules for this, each implementation starts off with different conditions that are company dependant. The most important part of best practices and standards is that they are created early and are adhered to. It helps if they are simple and clear as well.

Creating a good set of naming conventions, style and programming standards and more is a small project in itself and some of us end up working long periods in order to create them.

IBM/Ascential does have a set of best practices, but I understand that they are not freely available but are packaged as part of a consulting package.

Since so much work is involved in putting together a good system it is unlikely that you will get one single and complete answer. I think if you search around the forum for such phrases as "naming conventions" and "best practices" and similar terms you will find a lot of helpful posts that touch upon the major subjects and often give some examples; this will let you get started on designing your specific project's standards.
pavan_rk
Participant

Post by pavan_rk »

Thanks ArndW, i will search around the forum.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ones that I use if a client lacks their own may be seen from this page
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

avi21st

I really disagree with some of these. Why have all links start with lnk? Why have all projects have Load in the name? If all of them have it then how informational is it? What good does it make to have job type in the link name?

I do like jp and sv so these variables show where they come from.

The stage represents the connection to a database so I think it should tell you the database or DSN. The link represents the table name or primary table of a SQL statement. So I agree the table name needs a part of the link name. I also like In and Out as part of the link name. This shows up when you monitor a job. Monitoring a job makes no sense if the names are not useful.

It is very important to have a naming convention document and enforce it. Be consistent so if a developer can easily look at a job and figure out what it does.
Mamu Kim