Version Control 511r1 and Creating Hash Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Version Control 511r1 and Creating Hash Files

Post by chulett »

Just upgraded to DataStage 5.1a and the new 5.1.1r1 VC. Now when we go to promote jobs to a project, the option to 'Create Required Hash Files' seems to have gone missing. Was this functionality removed from the current version? It is still in your online help.

-craig
admin

Post by admin »

This functionality was removed it is recommended that those jobs that use hash files be modified so these files are created automatically. Since DataStage does a nice job of creating these files on the fly.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting. I've used your functionality for creating Hash files to get around a bug in DS. Normally we'd use the 'validate' option, which has the added bonus of creating any hashed files used by the job, as long as the job is *writing* to them. For some of our jobs, which both read from and write to the same hash file, the validate function does not create the hash. We had two options in the past: create it by hand or let Version Control do it. We let VC do it. I see that there is a new option on the Hash Stage to 'Create File', this must be what you are referring to. I'll have to give it a whirl.

Question: the help doesnt't specify if it only creates the hash if it doesn't exist or if it is constantly deleting and rebuilding the file with that option checked. Any clue exactly how that works?
admin

Post by admin »

You must check the box that says create file. By default it will only create if it does not exist. If you click on the options button there are a number of setting that you can specify. One at the bottom you can check if you want DS to delete the file everytime and recreate. There are also some other options that allow you to specify different types of hash files. WARNING only change this when you know the characteristice for each of those types. There are a number of performance things that you can do once you have ran the jobs for a while there are administrative type commands that can analyze the hash files then you can set the minimum modulus settings for these files which will result in higher performance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for the information. This new functionality wasn't documented in any of the 5.1 readme's or the Upgrade Guide technical bulletin that I saw. Looks like an excellent upgrade to the hash file stage and this saves me from stumbling across it on my own.

FYI, your online help still documents this under 'Promotion Options'.

Thanks again,

-craig
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

What are the commands you are referring to?
... there are administrative type commands that can analyze the hash files then you can set the minimum modulus settings for these files which will result in higher performance.
I have used the Hash File Calculator under the HFC directory on the 5.1 CD to calculate the File Type and Modulo. Are there other commands that will also help?
admin

Post by admin »

for dynamic type 30 files the command ANALYZE.FILE <filename> will return the current statistics for the file. You can at least determine what the min modulus could be set at. If you have created non Type 30 files then you can execute HASH.HELP <filename> this will actually give you recomendations for these files.