Delete jobs/categories from commanline

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mjgmc
Participant

Delete jobs/categories from commanline

Post by mjgmc »

Is it possible to delete jobs or categories from the command line?

How?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, deletion of jobs and categories can only be done through the clients.
mjgmc
Participant

Post by mjgmc »

thanks
alanwoo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by alanwoo »

What's the fastest way to delete jobs?
Especially when you keep getting '<job>' is referenced by another component and you press Yes to All and you keep getting the message popping up...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Speed is not the issue here. Being systematic and accurate is. DataStage needs to check that you really want to delete the job even though other jobs (and, perhaps, routines) might depend on it.

If you want to be totally arrogant you can disable these confirmations. But let me state that, in over 12 years working with DataStage, I have never done so.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alanwoo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by alanwoo »

unfortunately didn't get to see your whole post because i'm not a premium account user. only saw
"Welcome aboard. Speed is not the issue here. Being systematic and accurate is. DataStage needs to check that you really want to delete the job even though other jobs (and, perhaps, routines) mi ..."

will probably have to sign up. I understand the important of accuracy but when your on a large DS project (probably one of the biggest in Australia), it can be a very time consuming process. Just deleting a folder of jobs takes like a very long time and what makes it longer is when I have to keep clicking on these popus. It would be nice if I could just run a script and spent my time on other stuff without monitoring this. Like compiling for example, using a script takes 1 hour, if using DS manager takes a day.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ArndW wrote:No, deletion of jobs and categories can only be done through the clients.
Can't we do it from the Server as -

1. Opening the DataStage Shell(dssh) of the Project
2. Executing the following query

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME="%<JobName>" 
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

That would certainly cripple the job, but would not delete it.

There are many other entries for a job, including in DS_JOBOBJECTS, VOC and all the job-specific repository tables DS_TEMPnnn and RT_*nnn and their corresponding file dictionaries, not to mention dependencies that might be recorded in other jobs.

Deletion via the clients manages all these (except the last).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zhoum00
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zhoum00 »

Hi Ray, you're talking about disabling confirmation for massive delete. How could I do that?

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's an option in the Manager. And off is off, single deletes or 'massive' ones.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers