Error popped when Exporting Jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

Hi,

I have created jobs in project A and need to move to project B.
When i tried to do a export with selected Jobs and Table definitions from Datastage Manager the following errors are popped up :

Dialog 1
Error calling subroutine. *Datastage*DSR_SELECT (Action=7); check Datastage is set up correctly in project dstage
(The connection is broken (81002))

Dialog 2
No objects were found to export

what could be the problem for this to occur ?
Help me to export the Jobs from project A.
Antonio D'souza
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Make a new connection to the client (Manager) and try exporting.
Dialog 1
Error calling subroutine. *Datastage*DSR_SELECT (Action=7); check Datastage is set up correctly in project dstage
Seems your client connection has broken.
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi Anto,

seems, that there are a lot of elements in your project.

Try to export only jobs or jobs catagorywise.
You need table definition in ProjectB only if you want to continue developing there.

Try the commandline-tool (Windows-Client-commandline) "dsexport" or "dscmdexport"

Make sure that nobody else is developing in the project.

Make sure that no jobs are locked due to other reasons.

Make sure that not to much other PC-Client-Programms are running heavily at the same time on your PC.

If all that does not work, we have to find other reasons.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Is it poped up once or keep poping up?
Is your server located far from you client end?
Will you ofter face network slowdown?

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds like you need to reindex the project. Search the forum for the proper use of the DS.REINDEX command.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
antojj
Participant

Post by antojj »

I didnt do any reindex. I closed the jobs and open jobs.
when i tried again after re-starting the machine, I am able to export the only desired jobs / sequences / table definitions.

The clarifications as discussed in the chain:
Sounds like you need to reindex the project. Search the forum for the proper use of the DS.REINDEX command.
I didnt reindex the project. This project has 42 folders and more than 300 jobs in it.
Is it poped up once or keep poping up?
Is your server located far from you client end?
Will you ofter face network slowdown?
The client and server box are located adjacent to each other.
Try to export only jobs or jobs catagorywise.
You need table definition in ProjectB only if you want to continue developing there.

Try the commandline-tool (Windows-Client-commandline) "dsexport" or "dscmdexport"

Make sure that nobody else is developing in the project.

Make sure that no jobs are locked due to other reasons.

Make sure that not to much other PC-Client-Programms are running heavily at the same time on your PC.
I exported only the needed jobs to project B. I restarted the box for some other reasons and then made a Job export. It worked fine.

Thanks a ton for the information flow.
Antonio D'souza
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Craig is not asking whether you have reindexed, rather he is advising you to reindes.
Use the command in administrator client and use

Code: Select all

DS.REINDEX DS_JOBS
Which will reindex your jobs (Since you are exporting only the jobs and sequencers.

-Kumar
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I am not sure you need to reindex. I have seen this in almost every version of DataStage. I think it is in the DSX. I think you have a bad job in the DSX but I would love a full Wurlod.
Mamu Kim
JayanK
Participant

Post by JayanK »

Hi there,

Can i get some clarification on what you meant by making a new connection to the client(Manager)?

Did you mean to open a new session of Manager?

Regards,
Jayan
koolnitz wrote:Make a new connection to the client (Manager) and try exporting.
Dialog 1
Seems your client connection has broken.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All error codes of the form 81xxx arise from the DataStage RPC mechanism. However, the underlying cause could be anything.

That "the connection is broken" means usually that the connected client's agent process on the server (either dsapi_server or dsapi_slave) has terminated the connection. For example this might occur on an inactivity timeout.

Certain conditions that cause the export to have to wait too long, such as locked jobs with the interactive message box (skip/abort/cancel) being ignored, might also cause this problem.

It would do no harm to reindex the project prior to exporting, as I'm not sure whether the selection proceeds by category or not. It probably depends on the export option settings. CATEGORY is one of the indexed columns in the design-time repository tables.

Make very sure that no-one is connected to the project before essaying an export. Use the list_readu command from the operating system and pipe the result through grep, filtering for the project name. Every connected client holds a sharable lock on a record called project&!DS.ADMIN!& (so that administrative utilities can quickly determine whether exclusive access is possible). Of course, those of you who advocate thoughtless UNLOCK commands may negatively affect this mechanism.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.