Datastage scheduling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MukundShastri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage scheduling

Post by MukundShastri »

Can a MVS edition datastage job be scheduled from the mainframe scheduler instead of scheduling it from the director.

This question has resemblance to a datastage job can be scheduled from the crontab in unix.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

To my understanding this should be possible to be accoplished.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Datastage scheduling

Post by kris007 »

MukundShastri wrote:Can a MVS edition datastage job be scheduled from the mainframe scheduler instead of scheduling it from the director.

This question has resemblance to a datastage job can be scheduled from the crontab in unix.
Hi Mukund,
You can only run MVS jobs from mainframes , you cannot run them from your director. Once you generate the code you need to ftp the compile jcl, run jcl and .COB to mainframe machine and from the run it as any other COBOL program is run.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You simply schedule the run JCL that was generated by DataStage.

Assuming, of course, that you have already successfully executed the compile JCL.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MukundShastri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MukundShastri »

Kris,

As I understand from your reply,
The MVS edition of datastage is used only to generate cobol codes. The JCL needs to be coded separately and the generated cobol code will be run by the JCL on MVS OS. Then what is the use of datastage director ?

As datastage is used only to generate COBOL Codes, not to run them. In that case why do we need to install Datastage MVS edition on MVS OS like OS/390 ?

Your reply on this will be very useful.Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks
Mukund
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

MukundShastri wrote:Kris,

As I understand from your reply,
The MVS edition of datastage is used only to generate cobol codes. The JCL needs to be coded separately and the generated cobol code will be run by the JCL on MVS OS. Then what is the use of datastage director ?

As datastage is used only to generate COBOL Codes, not to run them. In that case why do we need to install Datastage MVS edition on MVS OS like OS/390 ?

Your reply on this will be very useful.Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks
Mukund
Hi Mukund,
1) MVS edition also generates JCLs for you along with the COBOL codes.
you need to upload 3 files *.cob, and 2 *.jcls.
2)Director is just a client interface , you can you use director to clean up resources and release locks on a job, you just cannot run them.
3) You dont need to install Datastage MVS on OS/390 as such .. from what I know you can only install on windows/UNIX. However, the generated COBOL code references several routines and other library functions which needs to be there in the execution environment.If thats what you mean by installation, yes you need them in your OS/390. But the server as such is installed in UNIX/windows which is in noway connected to your OS/390.
HTH
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

As Krish said, MVS DS/390 is just a code generator. u will need to execute the cobol code on the mainframe thru a JCL.
The schedule the JCL, u will need a job scheduler like IBM's product,TWS (Tivoli Work scheduler) or Zeke.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

As long as you have your COBOL code generated by MVS edition Datastage job compiled/link and the JCL is correct, mainframe's scheduler, CA7, will have no problem to run the job according to the shedule defined in CA7. You can also put the detailed instructions for operators as to how to restart the job from the top, restart the job from certain step, parameters override, ...etc. Does sound like what job sequence trying to accomplish.

I hope that you are not going to ask what's CA7 and how it works!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are, of course, other schedulers than CA7 available for OS/390. But what lstsaur says about CA7 applies equally to these.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MukundShastri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MukundShastri »

I have used CA7 earlier :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Mukund