Is it possible to find the City and State name using ZipCode

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

akonda
Participant

Is it possible to find the City and State name using ZipCode

Post by akonda »

Hi

Is it possible to find the City and State name using ZipCode in Quality stage 8.5 version for USA addresess?

Thanks
arun
arun
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi Arun,

There is nothing built in to QualityStage that would provide that information. The closest it could come out of the box is to use the US Address Certification module (an additional cost item). However, you would need the Zip and Zip+4 and an address to get the city and state. The Zip by itself is not enough (many Zip codes span multiple cities and counties).

You can, however, purchase addresses databases from a variety of sources, and them integrate them into you QualityStage processes. The USPS sells this data (https://www.usps.com/business/address-i ... ystems.htm), as do others. Unfortunately, I am not able to recommend any solution as I have not worked with them.
Regards,
Robert
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was under the impression that ZIP+4 would actually be enough to get a unique city / state value. At least the vast majority of the time. :wink:

When I needed to do something like this many (many) moons ago, I recall being told that each ZIP code will have a 'preferred' city/state with any other possible matches being considered alternates. So depending on how accurate you need to be, you may be able to get by with a simple five digit zip-code lookup.

As noted, there are many options available to help with this. You can also subscribe to a service that will deliver that to you on a regular basis in a delimited file that you could instantiate and lookup against, people like this as one example. We ended up doing this (don't recall the vendor, migh have been the USPS themselves) and then had a process in place to update the lookup table once a month from the CDROM delivered data source, for whatever that is worth.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for keeping me honest :D The 'ZIP, ZIP+4, and and address' comment I made was referring to the use of the QualityStage US Address Certification module (aka CASS). I was trying to be helpful about what QualityStage would do without any third party data and integration.

As you point out, the third part data sources do have lists of ZIP and ZIP+4, and their associated city and state. But you would need both the ZIP and ZIP+4 to get that information accurately.
Regards,
Robert
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... thanks for the clarification. :)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
akonda
Participant

Post by akonda »