Creating an override

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating an override

Post by abc123 »

When creating an override rule set, in what situation would you use the Input Pattern tab and when would you use the Unhandled Pattern tab?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are indeed five different overrides, so five tabs. The choices allow you to intercede at different steps in the analysis (bucketing) process. There's a list of the order of operations in the User's Guide or in the student manual for the QualityStage Essentials class.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abc123 »

Thanks ray for responding. From my understanding, Unhandled Pattern tab is for when the Investigate stage cannot handle the pattern, right? I am wondering how would we know what pattern to deal with if Investigate cannot handle it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's where overrides are useful. If you can figure out that you want to treat all instances of a pattern in a particular way, then you set up a pattern override. But if there are particular exceptions (such as a multi-word organizational name), then you might use a string override for that. The string override takes precedence over the pattern override. In the fullness of time, you might edit the pattern action language for that particular rule set, so as not to need some of your pattern overrides.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.